I don’t usually make new year resolutions. I tend to break the promise a few weeks into the new year. The last time I upholded one was way back in college when I vowed to hear mass each Sunday and holy day of obligation for a year. I was committed to it that, one time, I commuted for more than half-an-hour to catch the last scheduled mass for the Sunday.
That’s how I commit to someone or something or to an obligation. But that’s another story, something I might put into words when inspiration strikes. For now, let me share some of my resolutions which I will commit to not only for this year but going forward.
1. Save more. Spend less. The reason: I badly want to get a place of my own where I could invite friends over without asking permission from the housemate if it was fine with them. I would need a few hundred thousands of pesos for a downpayment and I don’t have that wads of cash with me now.
2. Learn photography. I own a DSLR for almost 2 years now and I still could not differentiate aperture from shutter-speed or what f-stop means or how metering affects your photographs. I have taken a few shots that I am proud of, some of which I have posted in this blog, but I still dream of taking jaw-dropping shots like this or this or this.
3. Blog at least once a week. I blogged less last year than the year before that. It was an unintended break. I got busy with my “normal life”, read a lot (20 books!), and marathoned TV shows that I missed (Fringe, Dexter, The X Factor US).
4. Buff up. I now look like a pregnant man and I loathe it. I have taken matters on my own hands – I have started jogging again and will enroll in a gym very soon. I’m not getting any younger so I need to take care of my health. And our 15-year high school reunion is coming up later this year so I need to look fit by then. Wish me luck!
5. Stop multi-tasking. This is a must in my line of work but in my personal life, I should focus on one task at a time. A friend once told me the reason why I have not developed much my photography or writing kills or read more books or watched more movies or saved more moolah or developed a buff body was because I tend to juggle all or most of my hobbies. Sabi nga nila “jack of all trades, master of none”.
Have a memorable 2012, everyone! And if the Mayans are right, see you in the afterlife. Haha. I kid.